In creating this, I was trying to make something soft and delicious as I had a wisdom tooth taken out this past weekend and needed soft food. I love sweet potatoes to begin with, but stuffing them with even more vegetables creates a perfect vegetarian meal that is filling, delicious, and nutritious. You can do this with really anything, I just worked with what I had. Instead of hummus, you can do whole chickpeas – I just needed everything as soft as possible for minimal chewing. Use your favorite herbs, if you don’t like basil. The combinations are endless, but this one combines the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, the tanginess of hummus, the intense and delicious flavor of roasted garlic and the earthy notes of sun-dried tomatoes. The best part – minimal cooking involved.
Roasted Sweet Potato Stuffed with Hummus, Roasted Garlic, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
I made this for myself, so just multiply the ingredients according to how many potatoes you’re making.
For one potato:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 tbsp. hummus or whole canned or jarred chick peas
- 1 tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes (julienned is my preference)
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning
- basil to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Wash your potato (or however many potatoes you’re using) and place, whole, on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until the sweet potato becomes soft and is easily pierced with a fork. I like to rotate them half way through the cooking process for evenness.
- Take your potato out of the oven and cut it in half, lengthwise. Smush the flesh down a little to create wells for your stuffing. Season with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning. Next, spoon in your hummus or chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes, evenly dividing between the two potato halves. Smear the cloves of garlic on top. Finally, finish with a sprinkle of basil or any other herb of your choice. The oil from the sun-dried tomatoes will be enough so you don’t need to add anymore.
- Enjoy and feel great!